When local weekly Metro Times stopped being grumpy about vegan restaurants, I knew we’d hit a tipping point in Michigan. While there are plenty of great vegan restaurants popping up in Detroit, Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids, it’s taken a long time for a plant-based lifestyle to gain acceptance here. If you’re looking for support or cooking classes, there are some great local groups to check out.
- Veg Michigan Michigan’s oldest vegan group, which organizes the amazing Veg Fest in Novi every April. They also orgnize food demonstrations across the metro Detroit area.
- Vegan Grand Rapids: a great guide to vegan restaurants on the west side of Michigan.
- Vegan in Kalamazoo: A rundown of vegan eateries in Kzoo.
Cooking classes & food blogs:
- Thrive Detroit organizes food demonstrations & cooking classes in the city and suburbs.
- Cacao Tree Cafe has offered raw food demonstrations.
- Grand Rapids based blogger Orthodox and Vegan (formerly Oh She Cooks) has good recommendations for local vegan products.
- MI Local Food Beet is a good local food blog about veggie options in Michigan.